Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Umbrella

Today was one of those days. I could write about 8 different blog posts on the many frustrations I encountered today, but it's late and I'm about to go to bed. Suffice it to say, by the time 5:30 rolled around, I was overly frustrated, stuck on an overcrowded bus (that smelled like wet bodies), and it was pouring rain. The bus driver missed my stop so I had to walk several blocks in the pouring rain to get to a night class I'm taking. I was late and muttering to myself about how awful everything was, and to top it off here I was soaking wet, caught in the rain without an umbrella.

And then, out of nowhere, this Italian woman (I think she was Italian) started talking to me in some language I didn't understand. She was gesturing for me to take her umbrella. Confused, I looked at her husband, who said, "It's for you! This one's big enough for me and for her--we don't need two!"

It made my day. And it restored my faith in humanity. And really, guys, God is watching out for us, even if just to prompt some stranger to give us an umbrella in the middle of pouring rain at the end of a really long day.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I hope I can be like that couple and be the one to make someone else's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your days seem to be going as good as mine - except I haven't received an umbrella yet :) I did receive a new washer though so all is right again.

    ReplyDelete