Sunday, November 28, 2010

Things I've Eaten

With all the hype about delicious Thanksgiving dinners (mine sure was--who can go wrong with 10 pies, 3 turkeys, and a ham?), I thought I would throw up a few pictures of things I've eaten (pun intended). Some of them were pretty disgusting--while others only look disgusting. I'll leave it to you to guess which is which.

I think this one tops all in the category of looks. I was so terrified that this was either a-a plate of worms or b-a plate of baby snakes.

I used to think fish were disgusting--when this was brought out on my plate I was a little surprised. Now, though, I just crave whole fish (which, incidentally, are much easier to eat with chopsticks!!)

See my post on mansaf for details on this one.

A traditional Chinese New Year dinner--fish, bamboo shoots, cow stomach, shrimp, and several unidentifiable meat and vegetable dishes.

Frog legs.

Stinky tofu. That is the actual translation from the Chinese. And even though I said I wouldn't tell you which ones I liked (or learned to like) and which ones I didn't, I will just tell you now that stinky tofu (fried, boiled, baked) smells like an old diaper and has about the same consistency. They tell me it tastes better than it smells, but I never found that to be true...

This is some sort of Vietnamese seafood dish, with lots of tendrils of seafood--octopus, squid, shrimp, and some other things.

I never would have thought to put beans and fruit together on top of shaved ice before I lived in Taiwan...

Cow stomach in all of its glory.

They call this "hot pot." Isn't it cute that the little shrimp is staring at you?

This was an all-you-can-eat hot pot place. I usually just grabbed lots of squishy things and threw them all in together, so I'm not sure what any of these things are (besides the cabbage)...they were just squishy.

And despite the rather unattractive nature of this picture, I thought it would be fun to see fried squid in action.

5 comments:

  1. GROSS!!! Gross, gross, gross. What WAS that top one, anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, you don't want to know.

    Breanne, all I can say is just WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breanne! I was pretty jealous that you got to learn another language, but now I am thinking that Canada was just perfect for me... :) The fish reminded me of our trip to Galilee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should I give away the secret? The top one is actually "squid ink pasta" with peppers and clams. Type that in on google images--but not when you're feeling queasy, because those pictures look awful! It was actually quite good, even though it stained my teeth black. Awkward.

    Jane, the fish WAS from the Galilee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, after a long hard search, I finally found your blog. And can I say...ew. What a first post to read. :) I miss you! Glad to be able to see how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete