Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Summer of Fun

This post is only a few months overdue. :) This summer I told myself I was not going to let the summer fun pass me by--after all, it had been two years since I had been in Provo in the summer, and I might not be back in Provo for a summer for a very, very long time.

I was taking a ridiculous number of classes and working, but that didn't stop me from exploring some beautiful hikes around Provo.

The first hike was to Battle Creek Falls: fun enough to do twice. The first time was with my roommate and her fiance.

Despite the look of pretended terror on my face, the hike was quite easy.

The best part about the hike? There is a waterfall less than a mile in. So just when you start to get tired or bored or the kids start crying, there you are at the waterfall.

Because it seemed like the perfect hike for a young married couple with a baby, I invited my sister and her husband and baby to come along the next time.

Peter was terrified of sitting in the baby carrier thing and cried for the first half of the hike, but he was quickly content when his mom broke out the food.

This is my favorite picture of the three of us. I think it really brings out my best feature--my left eye. :)

Early in May, some people from my ward decided it was time to take a road trip to Goblin Valley. I was game. I took my homework, fell in love with George Herbert's poetry (who, strangely enough, I hadn't encountered before--he took a seat next to John Donne on my list of favorite poets). My camera batteries died after about 5 minutes, so this is all you get.

Over the 24th of July weekend, I went with my sister up to Bear Lake. It was a dream.


And even though I don't have pictures, we can't forget about the Scottish Festival in Payson. I went with my roomate (the engaged one) and we explored my Scottish roots, found out that not only is my mother's Campbell side Scottish but my White ancestry also has Scottish roots. Unfortunately, my roommate didn't find any Scottish crest with "Borg," her last name. But we did eat funnel cake and listen to bagpipes. It was pretty awesome.

During finals week, my former roommates convinced me to go with them to pick raspberries at 6am. Then we bought the ones we picked and ate them. It was a pretty fun experience--nothing like an early morning hike through a raspberry farm in high heels before going to take a final. :)

Finally, early Labor Day morning my roommates and I hiked the Y. The best part, in my opinion, was this picture. I was pretty proud of myself.


Jealous of my summer of thrills?

5 comments:

  1. If only we could all have left eyes like yours.
    But I can't complain - look at me by the falls. Who else has amazing arms like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great summer! Too bad it was so long ago and now there is only school and applications and work and volunteer stuff and concerts and broken cars and... Great picture of Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! How fun! And those aren't the typical BYU summer activities...way to branch out a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because my "typical BYU summer activities" include studying, going to class, and an occasional visit to the library. :) Don't worry, Kaitlyn, I still had plenty of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still craving that raspberry jam... That was a great experience. And I really like the picture of Jill and Ryan - it is so like them!

    ReplyDelete