Friday, February 11, 2011

Cheese

I recently decided that in order to ease my financial burden (at least partially), I could no longer buy cheese. It's just too expensive.

But I love cheese. Especially toasted cheese sandwiches. And so my body has been going through withdrawal for the last few weeks. I think about cheese all the time.

*Sigh*

The other night, I came home from campus and I was starving. If I had cheese, I would have made myself a toasted cheese sandwich. But I didn't. I was out of strawberry jam, too, and I just bought peanut butter last week but it was disgusting. It tastes like the peanut butter in Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, and I don't like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.

You see the problem.

No cheese. No (edible) peanut butter. No jam. No frozen dinners (which are almost as expensive as cheese). Actually, in an effort to ease my financial burden, I have cut back on everything except cereal and fruit snacks--and food storage.

I realized I only had one option. I opened my cupboard to see what random assortment of cans I had in there that I could throw together to make something edible.

Canned salmon. Pineapple chunks. Garbanzo beans. All things that are great with cheese, but not so great together.

But then I saw the ramen. Ramen + Kidney Beans + Corn + Tomato Paste = dinner.


Doesn't it look delicious? My roommate was almost jealous of my delectable dinner, but she had made her own dinner of Thai food. I decided I wanted to eat international food, too, so I ate this with chopsticks.

Everything tastes better with chopsticks.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Seriously, come up and take some fabulous pictures of my son and I'll give you food - lots of it. Including cheese and good peanut butter. And real meat, and anything else you want/need. Maybe for President's Day I'll dress him up cute and you can take some portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I would love that Reese's peanut butter! :) Way to be innovative. Are you getting your food storage from Grandma and Grandpa? In that case it should be VERY budget friendly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. My food storage was free. Which is why I made such a delicious meal for...free. :)

    ReplyDelete