Friday, February 25, 2011

Valentines day. It's about...Love.

When I was a child Valentines day always meant new socks. (Who wants flowers, anyway, when you can get something practical like socks?) My mother or sisters might correct me on this one, but from what I recall, each Valentines day for several years we each got a pair of socks and a note from Mom detailing what she loved about us.

For me, socks became the defining symbol of Valentine's day and, in a larger aspect, love in general. Love = socks. Socks = love.

It was a real disappointment to come to college and no longer get socks for Valentines day. Plus, for 3 of the past 5 years on Valentines day I have been in countries where they don't even celebrate the day of love. Lame. No socks = no love in my life. (No wonder I am having such a hard time with graduating from BYU single! I need to get married so I can get socks on Valentines day!)

Anyway, just a couple of weeks ago, on Valentines day, I came home and found this waiting on my doorstep:


It's not quite like a pair of socks, but I could tell that this had been given with love, too. In fact, it was this girl (and her boyfriend) that had left this thing of beauty, this symbol of love, on my porch for me to see:


Remember that random couple from temple square on New Year's? Yeah. Actually she is my old roommate. Who just happens to also be my current next door neighbor.

Isn't that one of the most wonderful things you've ever heard? It falls in place right behind the announcement made when Kinder chocolate was available in the US and when laptops were first introduced. My (ex)roommate, who already has a boyfriend of her own and already probably got flowers on V-day, cared enough about me to get me flowers (since she knew I wasn't getting them from anywhere else!).

She's great. And I realized. V-day is not about flowers. It's not even about socks.

It's about love.

Just to celebrate, I thought I would leave you with a picture of (one of) the love(s) of my life:


My nephew. Can I just say that he just started saying my name, and now I am in love. He is even more adorable now that he wakes up and says, "Ahh-Bee?" (which is toddler for Aunt Breanne) while looking around for me.

Love that kid!

3 comments:

  1. And love the picture!

    Also, I don't ever remember getting socks. Maybe it made you feel loved because you were the only one - the favored child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute picture of Peter! And that rose picture looks amazing.

    I remember getting socks...once. They were blue with bees on them, and I was in 9th grade.
    I wore them on my second date with Sam. We were riding bikes so my pants were a couple of inches above my shoes and he asked, "What's on your socks?" Ah, little did he know it was just the tip of the iceberg of my strange quirks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha. Funny that you were still wearing socks from high school when you were dating your husband. All those years...what, two? three?...and you still had those socks. :) (Just kidding, Kaitlyn. You weren't that young when you got married. Just younger than I was when I got married, which is always a bitter spot for me.)

    ReplyDelete