Thursday, March 1, 2012

Assilah, Morocco

After two very long posts, I think a post of pictures is in order. I spent one of my nights in Morocco in Assilah, an enchanting little town on the coast. I'll save the crazy stories that happened on the way to Assilah for another post, but naturally as a single foreign female travelling alone in Morocco I ran into some interesting situations. But I survived, no worse for the wear, and I even once pretended I spoke nothing but Chinese to get this guy to leave me alone. It worked. I love Chinese!

Anyway, for some reason Assilah has these beautiful paintings by famous (?) artists all over their buildings and houses. In addition to that, their doors are also a work of art. If you don't like looking at lots and lots of pictures of doors and locks, skip this post.









(It says "There is no god but God" in Arabic)














The men wore these long hooded cloaky things, and every time I glanced over I got creeped out and thought "KKK! Oh wait. Just Berber."









Hey, I guess I'm not the only one in these parts that knows Chinese...












It was literally right next to the ocean. And there was this crazy moss-like substance all over the rocks. I've never seen such awesome moss before--blue, green, orange, white, and black. It was pretty sweet.


Kind of looks like snow...but it's moss!

Three kinds of vehicles in Assilah: trucks, horse-drawn carts, and people.

Case in point.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, you weren't kidding when you said a lot! You must have had your camera on the whole time you were there! For good reason though...such bright, vibrant colors! Oh, and I forgot to mention, the kids at the activity day loved the pita bread. Some of them called it "pizza bread" because they thought it tasted like pizza crust. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. You guys have seen almost all the doors in the old city of Assilah now. I went early in the morning and no one was out and about, which was great because I hate taking pictures when people are watching me. It was the colors that got me!

      Delete
  2. P.S. That moss and the beach is BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are great Breanne! Just watch out for Voldemort creeping on you...!

    ReplyDelete