Friday, June 25, 2010

An irritation in C major

Yesterday, the second day of T/Th classes for the new summer term, I went to my 8 am class. It is Music 101--an introduction to music. If fulfills 2 classes that I have to take (and one of them is for my music minor) so this is clearly a class I have to take. (Don't ask me about taking general ed classes as an upperclassman--maybe that venting session will come later.)

Anyway, I walked in (only 8 minutes late!) and the professor was calling roll. There are about 90 people in this class. Calling roll is ok the first day. But even in a smaller class calling role is questionable on the second day. And in a class of 90 students, you should not ask each of them to tell you where they are from. And then comment about it.

This disaster roll-calling exercise lasted 48 minutes. 48! I was a little perturbed. But it was ok, because I brought my computer. I got so much done in that 48 minutes!

So then (the class is 2.5 hours long) the professor gets into the lecture. And the topic is: what is a quarter note, half note, etc. Honestly? I know this is an introduction to music, so some people might not know this stuff, but I learned this when I was like 5. So I clearly didn't need to be there.

I had chosen my seat carefully-at the back by the door-because I had to leave 30 minutes early. Therefore, when the appointed time came, I gathered my stuff and quietly began to walk out. The teacher looked up, saw me, and said, "Excuse me?"

Excuse me? Do you really need to interrupt class just because one of the 90 students was leaving? And although I nicely mentioned that I had another class and left, what I was thinking was, "Don't call me out for leaving class early when you wasted 48 minutes of my class time calling roll!"

Don't worry, I didn't say that. :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I have never heard of a professor commenting on someone leaving class!

    Once I was eating a tupperware of honey nut cheerios with milk (I was pregnant and had missed breakfast, ok? No breakfast=extreme nausea.), and my professor stopped class to say, "I don't think I have ever seen someone eat a bowl of cheerios in class before! But...carry on!" It was awkward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn - really (regarding 1st paragraph)? Man, you lucked out. I think it is the most awkward thing when professors stop their lecture an say something when someone leaves. I wasn't a distraction before, but now suddenly it interrupts the whole class.

    ReplyDelete