Friday, June 18, 2010

Awkward Happenings Lately

The past few weeks have been filled with awkward occurrences. Which should come as no surprise, seeing as how my whole life has been filled with awkward occurrences. But the past few weeks have been particularly humorous, and I feel inclined to share.

1. Last night I was in the JFSB. It was past eight o'clock, and I was getting hungry enough to stop studying and go home. So I stepped into the elevator and hit "Basement." (I was on level 4.) When the elevator stopped, I stepped out rather briskly (I was really hungry) and almost ran into a man who was trying to step on rather briskly. I realized I was only on the second floor so awkwardly tried to retrace my steps backward onto the elevator as the man--who was a custodian cleaning the JFSB--said, "Sorry about that! That scared me. I'm not used to running into people this late at night!" I looked at the time--8:30--and thought, "Well, let's hope you don't pass out when you see me in my office in this building at 10 pm!"

2. I was in a computer lab on campus writing a paper when I got up rather rapidly because I remembered that I had left my very expensive textbook in my classroom several hours before. As I turned to walk out of the computer lab I tripped on a chair and totally biffed it. I quickly stood up, thinking that no one had seen (and tried to pretend I had just kicked the chair, not fallen on it) when one guy nearby turned around and said in a loud voice, "Are you ok? Did you just fall over?" So then everyone in the lab knew that I had fallen over. I laughed and tried to say something witty while running out of there. It was even more awkward when I had to walk back inside and past said overly helpful bystander to return to my computer.

3. This one's the real killer. A couple of weeks ago I drove to church (in the Law building) and parked in a different spot than usual. To be exact, it was the 30 minute weekday parking, with parking blocks in front of each parking stall (the regular stalls don't have said parking blocks). When I got into my car after church I turned the key and, you guessed it, forgetting the parking block was in front of my car, drove straight forward.

I was more than a little surprised to hear a large "thump" sound and everyone in the parking lot turned to look at me. Well, I could either keep going forward or try to go backward over the block, so I kept driving. And those who weren't looking at me after the first thump were definitely looking at me after the second. But I just drove away nonchalantly, pretending like this was a normal occurance (it's not, by the way).

The next morning as I was driving to work I heard a strange hissing sound all the way...

There were actually many, many more awkward things that happened to me, but they don't make the blog cut because they involve people who might actually read my blog. Which is unfortunate, because they are awesome stories.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I love how the past 2 entries say "awkward" in the title. Lets just face it. You are the queen of awkward moments. :) I love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I could have titled my blog "an introduction to the awkward," but I put most posts like that in my other blog. The awkward one. This one is just the "normal" one. :)

    ReplyDelete