Monday, April 4, 2011

On Graduating with 246 Credits

Today in my English class the topic of how many credits I will graduate with came up. Don't ask how this topic just happened to come up--I am quite proud of my excessive amount of credits and bring it up at every opportunity.

Anyway, when I mentioned that I am about to graduate with 246 credits, the class was incredulous. Cries of "Don't they kick you out before that?" "How long ago did you start?!" and "Wow...wow" accompanied by a stunned look rang out across the classroom.

My teacher looked around at the class. "Can anyone beat that?" No answer. "Does anyone even have within 50 credits of that?" When no one answered again, I laughed out loud. "Yes, it's kind of a sensitive subject with me. I've been here a long time, ok?"

Five minutes later, my teacher said something and then added,  "How many credits do you have? two-hundred-ninety-something?" This way-out-of-proportion guess made my original number seem so much more reasonable.

But hey, I think it's still pretty impressive to be graduating with 246 credits...

8 comments:

  1. Impressive indeed!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you have credits to show for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go talk to a senior engineering class. ;) The problem was that you were talking to an english class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Laura (or Corban, maybe?), it probably would be different. When I tell engineering students that, they say, "Well, I'll be pretty close to that by the time I am done." But then they count and find out they will be at 180-190 credits. Which is still a lot, and somewhat closer to 246 credits than the 120 required to graduate.

    However, if I took 15 credits every semester, it would take 16.5 semesters to get 246 credits. That's 8 years.

    If I upped the credits and took 18 every semester, it would still take 13.66 semesters. That's a lot of semesters!

    I would love to hear how much the senior engineering students have--or if anyone on campus has more than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, it is Corban. Sorry if I came across as if to discredit the number of credits you have. 246 is a lot of credit! How many did you start with as an incoming freshman?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, I'm not offended. I started with 38 credits. Which makes my number seem slightly less impressive, but I usually don't share that information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breanne -

    GOOD FOR YOU! I am so happy that you have as many credits as you do! It just shows that you have a love for learning & a desire to learn more. It shows that you value education. It shows that you are smart. And most of all - it shows that you are never going to stop learning... which some people decide to do after they graduate (sad - I know - but it's true)... I'm rather impressed with this feat... and quite jealous! I wish that I was still in school experiencing what you are!

    ReplyDelete