Friday, September 23, 2011

[I'm not] Homeless

For some strange reason beyond my comprehension, I've become incredibly transient these past few years. My college years were filled with moves (I think I lived in 13 different apartments, not counting the mission, before I graduated) but the past two years I was especially packing-happy. I figured it out the other day, and I moved on average every two months these past two years. 

That's a lot of packing and unpacking!

However, my move to DC started a long stint of "three-suitcase-living," which meant everything had to fit into three suitcases. This made moving much easier.

The first apartment I lived in DC was a small box with two beds, two desks, two closets built into the wall, and a small fridge and a microwave. We had a closet with a shower, toilet, and sink inside (it was actually a bathroom but was smaller than most peoples' closets), and I shared the room with one other girl. There was a communal kitchen on the floor, but it was shared with 20 other people and I tried not to even walk past it. Obviously, my barbaric eating habits reflected that!

True, it wasn't like this box that I lived in at the Jerusalem Center (shared with 4 people and always at least 105 degrees!),

but it was pretty small.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of my shared box before moving out of it. 

I was thrilled to move to a large house with my own room in Maryland, just outside of DC, for the last month of my time out there. It was beautiful. I still only had three suitcases, and I kept most of my stuff packed for the month, but it was so great to have space of my own. And to get out of that box I had been living in! The first week living there I was so excited I killed all the spiders on the porch, disposed of the "weed jungle" through which I had to wade to get into both the front and back doors, and trimmed the front bush (the one that was so overgrown it blocked the sidewalk) with dull child scissors.

Yep. I'm pretty hard core like that.
The kitchen and the living room were the best part. I had never lived in a house with such a beautiful kitchen before! I mean, just look at all that cupboard space. And two fridges. My pancake mix and tuna fish finally had a place to call home! (And sorry about the bad lighting conditions in the photos. I took these just as I was moving out and it was already dark.)


This next picture was my room. I had already moved everything out, but since I only have three suitcases it looked about the same. Just put black sheets and two pillows on the bed and a suitcase in the corner, and that's pretty much what it looked like! I left my suitcase laying on the floor instead of putting it in the closet so my room wouldn't seem so barren. It was almost like having furniture in there.

The best part of the room? The bed. I didn't have to sleep on the floor! The girls who lived at the house had an extra bed that had been left behind by one of the roommates, and guys, it was awesome. The mattress wasn't the best--there was only one spot on the mattress that the springs wouldn't poke into me--but not sleeping on the floor was awesome.

I love living in houses with stairs. Something about the free exercise makes them very attractive to me!
And here it is in all of its nighttime beauty. Too bad I never got a picture of it during the day--you could have seen the awesome trimming job I did on the front bushes. But this was the best I could get as I was moving out.
Moving to Israel presented, once again, the conundrum of where to live. I didn't want to sign a contract before I got to Israel, because what if I didn't like the place or the roommates? I wanted to see the apartment before I signed anything.

But where to live while I searched for an apartment? I still hadn't reserved my spot in a hostel (I was deathly afraid of being stabbed in the middle of the night--and what to do with my stuff while I'm in class? What if someone wants to steal my broken shoes or old textbooks?) and while I was sitting in the Denver airport on my way to Israel, I received an email about two Mormon girls living in Jerusalem and going to Hebrew U. I emailed them right away to say hello and ask if they knew of any good housing options. And by the time I landed in Houston, one of them had emailed me back and said I was more than welcome to stay with her and sleep on her floor while I looked for an apartment.

Problem solved. I was so relieved. No more fears of being stabbed in the night!

Sleeping on someone else's floor was quite the experience. The girl with whom I stayed actually had an extra foam pad, so I didn't even have to sleep on the tile (no carpet in most houses in Jerusalem!). However, she had a small room, so my foam pad lay partially under the table in her room. Each morning I would wake up laying on the floor under the table. It was very disorienting and didn't help my homesickness for DC any! Every morning was the same: I'd wake up, wonder, "Where am I?" and then realize, "Oh yeah, I'm sleeping on the floor under a table."

But really, it was great. The apartment in which I stayed was graduate housing for the university, and it was within walking distance of my class. The best part, however, was the fact that it was right next to a cemetery: the British Military Cemetery for British soldiers who fought in Palestine in WWI. For those of you who don't know this odd fact about me, I love cemeteries, and it was a joy to be able to walk past this one twice a day!

Thankfully, within a week (and before I overstayed my welcome) I found an apartment--for at least a few weeks! I am currently subletting a girl's apartment in West Jerusalem, and it is great. And guess what? It's just temporary, meaning I will move again in October (but I already have a place lined up--I will be house-sitting for someone in my branch) and in November (to who knows where).

This is my room. The best part of subletting is that the apartment comes pre-decorated! Each morning I wake up to a wall full of people I don't know. It's like a got a new family and new friends overnight. I'm going to have to say, though, that the bed is the worst part (but at least I'm not sleeping on the floor!). It's like a fold-out couch/bed or something, and it is even more uncomfortable than my DC bed. It has three bars running across it under a very thin layer of fabric (which you can kind of see in the picture) and I have yet to find a comfortable sitting or laying position on this bed. Ah, well, who needs comfort when you can wake up to a wall full of pictures each morning? :)
The bathroom opens onto a closed balcony, with space to hang up clothes to dry. The second best part about the apartment (besides the pre-decorated room) is the washer. I was so stoked to find out that I didn't have to hand-wash my clothes!

Oh man, there are just so many great things about this apartment. Like the retro interrogation lamp hanging over the kitchen table.

And the pillow room.
Before I lived here, I never knew that a requirement for any apartment should be a pillow room. But now I see the beauty of having an entire room just for pillows. It's so great.
We don't have a balcony, but next to the pillow room is a glass door that opens with a railing next to it. Ta-dah! The whole living room is turned into a balcony when the door is open!

The view from my apartment is pretty awesome, too. It's not like the view from the Jerusalem Center, but hey, I'll take freedom over beautiful views any day.


This is my apartment building. Isn't it beautiful? And the best part is: I'm not homeless anymore!

3 comments:

  1. I love the heart of photos on the wall. I hope when you have a place of your own, you'll do the same.

    I feel so lucky to have been your roommate for 4 months!

    p.s. I love your reading your blog. It makes me laugh every time! And I need that, y'know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha. IF I ever have a place of my own and stop living in other peoples' houses. :)

    And you know, when I write posts I think to myself, "Will this make Noelle laugh?" If the answer is no, sometimes I delete it. I just want that funny edge, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh, you have lived in some pretty awesome conditions, haven't you? It's like you hit both ends of the spectrum...remember your apartment at the Promenade on 9th Easy Summer of '07? That was the best ever!!! I guess you get a good variety when you're moving every month or two. :)

    ReplyDelete