Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Super-Wide Lanes

So I've been at OSU for about a month now, and I've learned a few things about graduate school in the process. So far, the biggest thing I've realized is that my undergraduate experience, at least, was like I'msobusythatIhavenotimetobreatheoreatoreventakebathroombreaks and IonlyhavetimetosleepwhileIwalkbetweenclasses and I'mworkingtwojobsandtakingsevenclassesandvolunteeringandohshootmycarjustbrokedownagain and youwantmetowritehowmanypapersinoneweek? I was really busy. My final year at BYU, I was working 2-3 jobs, volunteering 8 hours a week, taking 20 credits, applying to graduate school and other fellowships, etc...and I was proud of myself because I worked really hard that year to take bathroom breaks at least twice a day and eat two meals a day.

Naturally, I was expecting much the same of grad school. Actually, I was expecting (and hoping) that it would be a little easier (or at least less frantic). Because why would any sane person go to graduate school if it was as crazy as my undergrad was?

But I ran into a slight problem. My first year of graduate school was in Jerusalem. And while I was much, much less busy last year than I ever was during my undergrad years, I was taking classes in two different languages, teaching a third language, working in the Primary (an organization for children in my church) and attending church twice a week in two different languages, attending classes at four different institutions in two different cities, and spending 3-4 hours a day in transportation and checkpoint crossing, in additional to my personal graduate research.

I was expecting this year, my second year of graduate school, to also be very busy. After all, I am trying to complete a two-year graduate degree in one year, looking for a job/career after grad school, trying to find a job for this year, and doing two languages instead of the usual one.

Now, I know that it's only been a month and I'm sure that things will pick up, but this past month has seemed a bit like this Seinfeld episode:


(Full disclosure: I've never seen Seinfeld. I saw this clip on my friend's blog a while ago and I thought it was particularly relevant to my situation.)

It kind of seems like my "narrow lanes" have suddenly been changed into "super-wide lanes" for a real comfort ride! It's rather bizarre, and while everyone tells me to "enjoy it while I can," I'm just not really into that whole relax and recreation kind of thing. Because when I have super-wide lanes, I tend to waste my time during the day because I don't have anything to do, and then get to class and realize that I didn't even do half of the homework or forgot to read one of the articles!

This, my friends, is clearly almost as dangerous of a situation as a metal sewing machine, paint thinner, and a large semi. But don't worry. I've taken up a few hobbies (like kickboxing) and I make dinner at least once a week. AND, I just got some new piano students. So hopefully I will be able to make those lanes a little more manageable for myself...and still have time to take bathroom breaks this year!

2 comments:

  1. I wish this was fb so I could "like" this post. But I guess I'll just have to like it without the technological affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should post the creepy late-night lady getting attacked story.

    ReplyDelete