Friday, September 7, 2012

Flashback Friday: A Poem

I realize that this might not be the best post to begin my Flashback Friday series, but you take what you get, right? It's not actually a story, but rather a poem that I wrote while I was living in the West Bank. It expressed some of the frustrations that I felt at the time. And I think it's, well, good enough to publish on my blog, at least.


The right to dream; a basic right
A thing for which we all will fight
But what of those who are not free
Who wait for hope indefinitely
When daily life has lost its light?

I look away; it seems their plight
Has brought me to the blackest night
Will their oppressors never see
Their right to dream?

In darkness, they live without light
A bird, alone, lost in flight
A life less precious than a tree
We cannot hear their simple plea:
"Our right to dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment