Sunday, September 9, 2012

Conversations in the Laundry Room

Some of you know that my neighbors are a little, well, interesting. I live in southwest Columbus, and as a white educated female, I am very much a minority.

Anyway, my neighbors, at least the ones I've seen, are a little odd. I'm never quite sure what to expect. So last night when I went to pick up my laundry from the laundry room, I wasn't too surprised when, as I approached the door, I heard someone talking loudly to himself inside. Hoping that I could quickly grab my clothes and go, my heart sank as I opened the door and saw that this man happened to be standing at the dryers right next to the washer my clothes were in. Grabbing my clothes and sneaking out was no longer an option.

I walked over to the washer and started putting my clothes in my laundry bag. (No, I don't dry my clothes. I'm not going to pay $1.25 when they can hang dry for free.) And yep, the guy started talking to me.

"Last week was me and my girlfriend's 4th anniversary," he told me. "And I'm going to take her out tomorrow to a restaurant, once she gets back in town."

"Where ya'll goin to dinner?" I asked, trying out my southern accent so that I would sound more legit.

He named some burger joint in town and I tried to look impressed. "Wow, sounds awesome." I kept putting my clothes in my bag. "Yeah, when I first started dating her my friends said I needed to hold on to her."

"That's great that ya'll are still together," I replied.

"Well, we're back together now. We broke up for a little while, but then the guy that she was going with wanted to take a loan from her for $266."

"$266?" I asked, feigning shock. "Oh yeah. That's a lot!"

"Yeah," he said, looking impressed that his girlfriend even had $266 to lend to anyone. "Yeah, that's why she broke up with him."

At this point I had finished putting my clothes in my bag. "Well, ya'll have fun tomorrow," I said, and headed out the door, tripping on his clothes hamper on the way. "It wasn't me!" he shouted after me as I walked out the door.

But as I got into my car, still chuckling about the $266, I realized that I don't even have $266 to lend. So now who's the pathetic one, eh?

2 comments: