Monday, June 27, 2011

When it Hails...

I spent a large portion of my life in Utah. And as everyone who spends even a little time in Utah knows, the weather is CRAZY out there. Sometimes it snows in June and sometimes it's hot in October.

And one time, last year, we had a blizzard that was SO BAD that they closed all the stores and the schools. They practically chased me out of the building, it was so bad. I mean, the sun was shining, but it was JUST IN CASE. Because the blizzard was COMING.

Four hours after everything shut down, we got a few flurries for 20 minutes. 20 MINUTES, folks.

Anyway. This post is not about the lamest blizzard Provo never got. It is about Washington, DC.

And the crazy weather here.

Several weeks ago it was so hot, it was almost unbearable. I was sitting at the Smithsonian, using their free wireless on the lawn in front of the main building.

All of a sudden, a piece of plastic dropped on the ground beside me. I naturally got up to inspect. And as I picked it up, it started melting in my hand.

Yes, friends, it was hail. HAIL. In the middle of 80+ degree weather. I was shocked as more pieces of this hail (it was HUGE, too, which is why I thought it was plastic. They were like mini ice balls) began to fall. I grabbed my computer, stuffed it inside my purse, and ran over to the African Art building for cover just as the sky opened up and the rain came pouring down.

Rain mixed with huge hail chunks.

It was the craziest thing I have seen out here yet, weather-wise. I guess Utah isn't the only place with abnormal weather conditions!

3 comments:

  1. oh, honey. you should just try north Texas for a summer. i miss hail. and tornadoes. and ICE STORMS. although those are more of a winter thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I got to hear about that one first person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know other places have abnormal weather--even places I have lived. Like a blizzard in Jerusalem in March. Or an ice storm in Houston that closed schools for two days. Or day after day of unbearable heat and humidity in Taiwan. Oh, wait, that was normal...

    ReplyDelete