Saturday, July 3, 2010

Racism in the Checkout Line

Today I was at the DI (surprising, I know) to buy a pair of shoes because my other ones were broken (even more surprising, right?) and this nice old man was ringing up my shoes. (I always want to say "checking me out" instead of "ringing me up" but I catch myself because it sounds weird.)

Like I said, he was really nice. I wished him a happy 4th and he looked startled, then his expression relaxed. "Oh yeah, I knew it was the 3rd this morning! That means tomorrow is Saturday, huh. I'm just like my wife says..."

And then the checkout lady at the stand next to his turned and said, "What does your wife say?"

"That I can't remember anything these days...not even what day it is."

After a chorus of "Oh," "It's been a long day at work, eh?" and other words of support, we all went back to our respective duties.

And the cute old man ringing up my items turned to me and said, speaking of the woman who asked the question, "I've got my eavesdropping n****r over there."

WHAT? I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say. I mean, he is old, but I don't think it's been politically correct to say the n-word since like 1960. And he wasn't even black.

I walked out stunned. I think it is the first time in years that I have heard this term in anything but a literary context.

And at the DI!!!

1 comment: