Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mormon Tabernacle Choir Concert


One of the best things about living in Utah that I didn't fully appreciate when I lived there was the vast abundance of free high-quality musical performances. Living in DC is also great in this respect, but when I heard that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was coming out here to perform 30 minutes away from where I live and tickets were $20 for the cheapest lawn seats, I thought, "No way am I going to pay $20 to hear the Choir when I used to listen to them all the time in Utah for free."

Well, someone had pity on me and others like me and my ward got about 100 free tickets to the Choir concert. And it was absolutely spectacular.

I feel incredibly lucky to have grown up with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. For lots of people at the concert, it was the first time they had ever seen the choir live. And even with tickets ranging from $20-$60, the place was packed.
As usual, the Tabernacle Choir did not disappoint. And with good friends and a beautiful sunset (and 95 degree weather with unbearable humidity, which only added to the thrill of it all), what could be better?

On the bus on the way home after the concert I was listening to the conversations going on around me. Actually, there was just one conversation, between three very loud men on the bus. And they were talking about how weird Mormons are, even if the Tabernacle Choir is spectacular. "They don't drink coffee--and they change the words in songs from 'coffee' to 'cider!'" said one of them.

"Yeah," said another. "I was in a hotel in Salt Lake once and they didn't have any alcohol in the fridge in the room."

During their whole 20 minute conversation I was snickering silently to myself. I wanted to see the looks on their faces when I stood up and casually mentioned that I was Mormon. But, unfortunately, I never got the chance. And I figure, if the only reason people think we are weird is because of the Word of Wisdom, I think that's pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!! I always hope Houston will be on the BYU performing arts touring schedule. Even though I'm sure tickets would be more expensive here, it would be worth it for a chance to feel connected to Utah/BYU again! Sadly, they always seem to pick Dallas...maybe someday.

    P.S. I have been meaning to mention, your hair is so long again! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the heat probably was more what the original tabernacle meetings felt like...just saying.

    ReplyDelete