Friday, December 2, 2011

Moving to Bethlehem: Part 2

Since the first Bethlehem apartment didn't work out, I had to find another one pronto. Luckily my dear friend Sahar (who told me about the first apartment) told me that her niece was renting out a place a bit farther from the checkpoint (in Beit Sahour, a small city next to Bethlehem) and did I want to go and look at it? Yes, I said, I would love to go right now and look at it with all of my suitcases and move inTonight. So that's what I did. Luckily for me, it is a pretty nice place, and I live there ALL ALONE. Meaning NO MALE ROOMMATES (not even the kind with British accents).

And guys. After having my own apartment, I don't know if I can ever go back to sharing with roommates. It is just so nice to have my own space (especially since for the last several months I have been living out of a suitcase in other peoples' houses!).

I live in the West Bank behind the separation wall, which I wanted to do for several reasons. First of all, I wanted to be forced to speak Arabic every day (how else would I improve?). Secondly, the rent is SO much cheaper in the West Bank (especially Bethlehem and Beit Sahour) than anything I could get in Jerusalem. And thirdly, I wanted to see what life is like behind the separation wall--and not just see it, but live it. This means, my friends, that there will be several posts about crossing the checkpoint, the economic situation, etc (get ready!).

The fact that my apartment is so stinking cheap makes up for the fact that the walls need to be washed (I need a ladder--can you see that I could only reach half of the wall in the kitchen?), it has no heat, the appliances look like they are from the 40's, and most of the time my water pressure doesn't work and so I take bucket showers. Did I mention that it came furnished? So I don't have to sleep on the floor or eat dinner without utensils (although the furnishings, like lawnchairs for the kitchen table, are a bit primitive. Beggars can't be choosers)!

It definitely wouldn't be featured on Better Homes and Gardens, but I think it's pretty great.

This microwave reminds me of the one we had when I was growing up--nice spin dial for the timer!

I have a fridge (with small freezer inside), a microwave oven, not one but two normal ovens, and a stove. And a microwave. I hardly know what to do with so many appliances! I guess I won't have to eat peanut butter out of the jar anymore!


The best part about the bathroom (besides the adorable rug I just bought for $4) is not the washing machine (definitely from the 40s) but the instructions on the washing machine. Those will come later (they are too funny not to share!).

I live in the Palestinian territories, and my apartment came with plenty of propaganda already on the walls.

It's a 2-bedroom apartment, which means I have room for guests to stay when they come! 


Both bedrooms have little balconies that look over the city:
There is a mini market right across the street. What a dream. Now I can just run down and get chocolate whenever I need it!




7 comments:

  1. Someday, when Ryan and I build our dream home, we'll have two ovens. You're pretty much living the dream right there, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to visit sooo bad. Especially since it's in Bethlehem. And it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt so cool while reading this that I got to see your apartment on Skype. :) By the way, we should Skype again soon...Wesley has learned to smile this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca--you should totally come.

    And Chicken Dust, I bet you could get an oven like mine at Smith and Edwards. I think they made these things during WWII. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you still live there in February?

    Actually, why am I even asking that question? How often do you stay in one place for one month, let alone three?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, Losaunne, take a deep breath and sit down. *deep breaths* I think I'm going to live there until...July.

    Wow. Did I really just write that? I'm getting the guest bedroom all ready for you. :)

    ReplyDelete