Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree


Living abroad always has its challenges, but especially so during the holiday season.

One of the biggest challenges for me has always been--where do I get a tree?

This year I was lucky. Sahar, my dear friend who lives a few blocks away from me in Beit Sahour, was talking to me a couple of weeks ago. "I have a tree for you," she said. "But it's really small. Don't be disappointed."

My friends, how could I ever be disappointed with something so wonderful? It even came with lights, decorations, AND PRESENTS!!! (Good thing, too, because I don't think anything else could fit under it!)




My first Christmas abroad was in Taiwan. The star on top of the tree was almost bigger than the tree itself!

The next year I was still in Taiwan, but I had a problem: no tree. Not even a 12-inch tree. Not even a branch.

Never one to let things like that deter me, I decided to make good use of the ugly green coat and ripped brown skirt that one of the sister missionaries had left in the apartment. One coat rack, a few paper streamers and pass-along cards, and a Santa hat later, I had a tree.
And yep, I'm gonna have to say, I was more proud of this tree than any other I've had!

1 comment:

  1. I love your trees! I'm sad your package from me won't get there in time for Christmas, but maybe you can keep your tree up a bit longer so you can have real presents under it. Besides, don't you "cry the day you take the tree down?" :)

    ReplyDelete