Sunday, May 2, 2010

In Honor of Chen Zhen Hui

Today is a day of great importance. The day after May Day, a few days before Cinco de Mayo...today is the one year anniversary of Chen Zhen Hui's baptism.



I first met Zhen Hui (the Chinese put their last names first, so her first name is Zhen Hui) in March of 2009. It was the last Sunday of my second transfer as a missionary in Taiwan, and her sister, Rui Jun, brought Zhen Hui to church with her. Rui Jun had been a member for about 2.5 years and one day Zhen Hui decided to go to church with her.

Zhen Hui was one of the most amazing investigators I have ever met. The next week when we went to teach her the first lesson, we sat down and asked her what she knew about Joseph Smith. She answered with, "Well, not that much. I took a copy of that book home--Gospel Principles? And I read the Relief Society manuel about Joseph Smith. And I read his account in the Book of Mormon."

Before she even got baptized she bought a copy of Preach My Gospel. (It might come in handy, she said.) During the second lesson, we asked her if she would be willing to be baptized. She said yes but set a date for August or September. We felt that she was more than ready and asked her to pray about that. She did, said God had asked her "Why wait so long?" and changed the date to May 2.

I called her today to congratulate her on one full year of activity in the church. She laughed and said, "I am so glad this year of trials is over!" As most new converts know, the first year after baptism can be rougher than expected. But Zhen Hui pressed forward with courage and determination. With two girls (2 and 8 months) and a husband that she brought to church each week, she was the driving force in bringing her family to the gospel. Her husband was baptized 3 months later, after gaining his own witness that the church is true. He now holds the Melchizedek priesthood and they are preparing to be sealed in the temple this August, when he passes his one year anniversary.

Shortly after she joined the church, Zhen Hui decided to go back to work as a school teacher. She felt that their personal economic crisis needed 2 incomes instead of one. But after only 6 months, she quit her job so she could once again stay at home with her girls. She wants to raise her children to love the Lord and follow His commandments, and she realized that she can teach them that better than day care.

Zhen Hui was amazing not just as an investigator but as a member as well--shortly after she was baptized she accepted a calling, she faithfully attended institute, and she introduced us to many of her friends. We went to her house 2-3 times a week to teach lessons to her friends there.

Zhen Hui and her family were special to me for many reasons. Her daughter (Qiao Qiao) was born 3 days after I arrived in Taiwan, her other daughter (Qi Qi)'s name had the same "Qi" as my Taiwanese name (Qi Jun), and her sister Rui Jun had the same "Jun" as my name.

Weird, huh.

In addition, I taught their family from the time Zhen Hui started investigating the church (March 2009), through her baptism, and until her husband was baptized (August 2009). I was transfered two weeks after his baptism, but was transfered back to the area for the last 6 weeks of my mission, where I saw both Zhen Hui and her husband faithfully fulfilling callings and Zhen Hui's husband receive the Melchizedek priesthood and give a prayer in stake conference.

The gospel of Jesus Christ completely changed their family and the very atmosphere in their home. I will forever be grateful for the time I spent with their family and what I learned from their examples of faith, patience, and waiting upon the Lord with humility and gratitude.

Zhen Hui, congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment