Friday, April 30, 2010

Where have all the English majors gone?

I might be a bit of a freak about grammar, but sometimes public content is just out of control.

For everyone.

For example: the other day in one of my university classes my professor (PROFESSOR! not TA or student) had a power-point up and he was trying to make a joke. He wrote how to succeed in the class and included in parenthesis, (we like cookies to).

To what?

To eat? to dip in milk? to throw at students? He didn't even leave an ellipses for us to fill in our own blank. Now, I know this wasn't an English class, but science professors should have to spell things right, too. Right?

Oh, and the other killer? A billboard for Sizzler. It says:

I used to Sizzler with my dad.
Now my...
KIDS LOVE IT!

Wouldn't the ellipses be much more natural after the now? The way it is now is just so...awkward. I won't even complain about the fact that "sizzler" isn't actually a verb.

Am I the only one that gets bothered by such things?

1 comment:

  1. Ryan keeps saying there ought to be a "Dictionary for Signmakers." Seriously. (And apparently signmakers is not a real word. Cute.)

    ReplyDelete