Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Lost Virtue of Integrity

Yesterday I went to a car store (which will rename unnamed) to run an emissions and safety inspection on my car. Last time I did this, the emissions failed (but passed the second time after a lot of prayer--that's a cool story!) so I wasn't surprised when it failed again this year--but just barely. I know why it failed, too--they let it idle for too long before they tested it.

What I was shocked about was the advice I was given by the car inspector people to make my car pass:

"If you want to cheat, just throw in a bottle of heet, rev up the engine, and bring it in--don't let it idle. 'Technically' it's not legal to use heet to pass emissions tests, but 'techinically,' who cares."

I was disgusted. It was even worse than the time the guy in my ward told me after my car had bumped into another car, "Just rub some gas on the black marks and the car owner will never even know you hit it."

Really, now. Is the virtue of integrity dead? Would I really sell my honor for a mess of pottage or even a way to pass the state emissions test?

In defense of the car shop, there was an employee who seemed less eager for me to sell my integrity and looked a little uncomfortable when the guy suggested throwing in the heet. But I was still shocked. And disappointed.

Said Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin:

"A little lying, a little cheating, or taking a little unfair advantage are not acceptable to the Lord. (See 2 Ne. 28:8–9.) The scriptures warn that these are Satan’s ways to lead us “carefully down to [destruction].” (2 Ne. 28:21.)...

"The world desperately needs men and women of integrity. Nearly every day we hear of fraud, misapplication of funds, false advertising, or other dealings designed to obtain gain by cheating or deception. The Lord abhors such practices."

--"Personal Integrity," Ensign May 1990

So is integrity dead? Not yet!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about that - maybe when I took it in they were so embarrassed by the fact that they locked themselves *in* the car that they didn't check to closely. Anyway, it passed just fine last year. What are you going to do now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I checked the test scores from last year--and though it barely failed this year, it barely passed last year. It barely passed the year before, too--I got some cleaner for the gas tank that should clean the stuff out. Pray for me. :)

    ReplyDelete