Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Isn't BYU always home?

The other day when I stopped by the records office to get some issues figured out, I mentioned to the girl at the counter that I had just returned from my mission (thus the records issues). She said, "Welcome home! Well, if you call BYU home..." to which I responded, "Isn't BYU always home?"

It is for me.

But even BYU does not remain stagnant as I leave to explore other countries. I thought a list of things that have changed in the last two years would be fitting.

1. Motion-sensored toilet paper rolls in the bathroom? I must admit that I had never seen these before and was slightly startled when I put my hand near one and it moved automatically. Perhaps this is to cut down on toilet paper waste? The only place I have found this interesting phenomena is in the Wilk.

2. Snack zone in the library?!! I guess the complaints and suggestions finally made it through to the top, because the library now has an "official" snack zone--on the 3rd floor at the south end. When I first saw a picture of a chocolate chip cookie in this area, I thought perhaps the library personnel were mocking us starving students, but it is actually an official place for "sandwiches, cookies, fruit, and other non-messy foods." So I guess I can't bring in my sloppy joe or steak, but the good news for me is that now instead of leaving my LRC station for 10 minutes to run outside to eat a sandwich, I now only have to leave it for 5 minutes and walk down the stairs to eat. What a delight.

3. All A lots have changed their "Faculty parking only" hours to the late hour of 7pm. Even on Friday. It kind of bothers me--but some of the lots now no longer have "No parking 1-5 am" signs on them! Does this mean overnight parking is allowed?

4. The traffic office. It's gone. The other day I drove my car up by the bell tower to stop by the traffic office--an area I am quite familar with because I used to work there. And it was gone! All those houses (a little out of date for offices but quaint nonetheless) were razed. And the houses on the south end of campus were gone too. I guess they wanted offices where the bathrooms weren't pink and green?

5. No earphones in the LRC. Signs say this is to quell the spreading of "The Flu"...but still, the whole purpose of the LRC was the free and convenient headphones. Now you have to check out a "clean" pair if you want one...with disposable ear covers.

Well, that's about it. I wish I could list some great and wild things that have gone on while I was exploring distant lands, but I guess BYU really doesn't change that much in two years...

(Still no south entrance to the Library, which is at the top of my wish list.)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are all new things since we left, too...have you heard why BYU won't put a south entrance on the library?

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 - What the...?!?!?

    I'm glad someone is taking note of these advances, boy things sure have changed in the bubble :).

    And, uh, the no south library entrance IS a change. They used to have one - made a great corridor through campus during cold winter days and rainstorms. I guess they figured libraries and major corridors for noisy, wet, and often disrespectful students weren't really the best of companions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention coffee tables in the bathrooms in the library? And the couches are new, too. No fear of getting measles or "The Flu" from sitting on those couches! You can officially conduct a meeting in the women's restroom and it wouldn't even be weird.

    Well, maybe a little...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, they DID used to have a south entrance on the library. They took it out because students were streaking through from the north entrance to the south entrance. No joke.

    ReplyDelete